Enfield 1893


Enfield 1893 is a club born out of the ashes of the former Enfield Football Club. In 2007 Enfield F.C were forced to cease trading after unsuccessfully fighting to remove the club from their former owner’s debts. After resigning from the Isthmian League, the club reformed as Enfield 1893 Football Club and gained admittance to the Essex Senior League. The club maintained their ground sharing arrangement with Ware F.C.


2007-8; In their debut season the club was in the running for the league title until the final day. With “1893” having completed their fixtures and holding a three point advantage, the two clubs who could pip them to the title met. Only certain scores could deny “1893” the title and Concord Rangers’ 1-0 win over Barkingside was one of these, leaving “1893” as runners-up on goal difference. They also reached the semi-final stage of both league competitions.


2008-9; The league campaign had a familiar ring to it as once again “1893” finished as runners-up in the Essex Senior League, Romford claiming the league title by seven points. “1893” reached their first cup final in the Gordon Brasted Memorial Trophy where they were defeated 3-1 by Burnham Ramblers, and also made it through to the semi final of the League Cup. Entry into the F.A.Vase for the first time ended with a single goal defeat at Stewart & Lloyds, Corby.


2009-10; After missing out on securing the lease of the refurbished Queen Elizabeth Stadium, “1893” moved a step closer to their wish of a return to the London Borough of Enfield when the five year groundshare at Ware finished and Broxbourne Borough F.C was adopted as their new home. Their new ground was just over the border in Hertfordshire and therefore more accessible to home fans. The team entered the F.A.Cup for the first time and progressed through three rounds before they were beaten by Chelmsford City before a healthy crowd of 306. Otherwise the club were out of all cup competitions by mid November and while the their form picked up in the last couple of months, they finished a distant fourth, eleven points behind champions Stansted.


2010-11; The opportunity to return to their home borough arose in the summer of 2010. Brimsdown Rovers were struggling financially and with the imminent departure of Enfield Town to the refurbished Queen Elizabeth Stadium, they needed to take drastic measures. A merger between Brimsdown and “1893” was agreed and “1893” now found themselves landlords with Enfield Town tenants for the upcoming season. The merger resulted in the club having a stronger playing staff and this helped its pursuit of the Essex Senior League title. There was a two horse race for the championship between “1893 “and reigning champions Stansted. The clubs met on the penultimate weekend and the 1-1 draw meant that a last day victory at Clapton would be enough to clinch the title. There was never any doubt about the outcome as a 6-2 win sealed the league title. Stansted gained some measure of revenge nine days later with a comprehensive 3-0 triumph in the League Cup Final.


Disappointment was just around the corner when the anticipated promotion to the Ryman League was rejected when the facilities at the Goldsdown Road ground did not meet certain grading criteria.


2011-12; There was a determination to go one step better and not only retain the league title but also secure promotion. The club made a great start and defeat in the league was not tasted until November. Their fine league form was matched by progress to the final 32 of the F.A.Vase where they were beaten at Shortwood United. A succession of long-term injuries then saw the team falter and an increasingly young and inexperienced line-up was unable to maintain any challenge for honours. The final league placing of 7th was a disappointing way for manager Kevin Lucas to finish his five years at the helm.


2012-13; Former Brimsdown Rovers manager Gordon Boateng was the person selected to take charge of “1893” and with many players having left the club to follow the previous manager, the team had an unfamiliar look about it.  A promising start to the season, coupled with another good run to the fourth round of the F.A.Vase augured well, but after the end of February the club gained only two victories and there was a humiliating 8-2 defeat in the Gordon Brasted Memorial Trophy Final at the hands of Burnham Ramblers. A mid-table league finish was the club’s worst in their brief history and the club and manager parted company soon after the season’s close.