Cockfosters Football Club

The Club was originally formed in 1921 by local residents and the ground allocated to the Club by Lady Bevan from her family estate. Their ground at Chalk Lane has been their home for their entire history and is conveniently located for anyone travelling to a match as it is opposite the London Underground station of the same name, at the extreme north of the Piccadilly Line.

The first league entered was the local Barnet League and moderate success was enjoyed as the Club moved through the lower divisions.

The 1930’s saw the original club joined by the successful Cockfosters Juniors and the “new” Club joined the stronger Wood Green & District League. Promotion was again achieved through the lower divisions, culminating in season 1938-39 with the first of two “trebles” won in the Club’s history, winning the Wood Green League’s Premier Division, the League Cup and the Barnet Cup.

After the war the Club moved its two sides into the Northern Suburban Intermediate League, a very strong local league of that time. Season 1946-47 saw the Club finish as runners-up in the League’s First Division but in 1949-50 the First Division title came to Chalk Lane and in the very next season the runners-up spot in the Premier Division was achieved. The late 1940’s also saw success in a number of local cup competitions, but in the early 1950’s the Club held a series of mid-table positions until they suffered relegation back to the First Division at the end of the 1956-7 season. In 1958 the club’s name was changed to Cockfosters Athletic.

The start of the 1960’s saw a re-awakening of the Club and the Northern Suburban League’s First Division title (1960-61) and the Premier Division Championship (1961-2) were won in successive seasons. In the two campaigns, only three of their fifty league matches were lost and 231 goals were scored. The Barnet Cup and the Barnet Charity Cup finals were reached regularly with both trophies being won on a couple of occasions and the club continued to challenge for league honours.
Season 1966/67 saw the Club gain entry to the Herts Senior County League and in the very first season the league’s Division One title was secured.  In 1968 the club reverted back to its name of Cockfosters and later that season a record crowd of 408 was in attendance for their match with Saffron Walden Town.

Twenty five seasons were spent in the Herts Senior County League and all but the very first were played in the league’s Premier Division. In that time the London F.A Intermediate Cup was won twice (1971 & 1990), the Herts F.A Intermediate Cup once, with three other appearances in the final. The Herts Senior County League Cup (The Aubrey Cup) was won twice, with two other losing finals played.

In season 1978-79 the Club won their second “treble” – the Herts County League’s Premier Division title, the Aubrey Cup and the Herts F.A. Intermediate Cup under the managership of Roy Reeder, a former player and Captain. The following nine seasons saw the Premier Division title won twice more, each under different managers, firstly in season 1980-81, when former Barnet player Jeff Voyce was in charge and then again in 1983-84 with Colin Bell at the helm. During this period the Aubrey Cup was again won (1984-5) and the Club twice finished as runner-up in the Premier Division (1982-3 & 1984-5).

In 1991 the Club gained “Senior Status” from its parent F.A. (London) and an application was accepted by the London Spartan League for entry into their Premier Division. During the next six seasons, the best league placing of fifth was achieved in 1995-6.

Following the amalgamation of the Spartan League with the South Midlands to form the Spartan South Midlands League in season 1997-98, the Club suffered a poor first season and lost its Premier Division status and were relegated to the SSM League’s First Division. In 2006-7 the club finished runners-up behind near neighbours Brimsdown Rovers and were promoted back to the Premier Division. This elevation saw the Club accepted into the F.A.Challenge Cup for the first time in 2007-8. After defeating Southend Manor in the opening tie, Cockfosters lost to Welwyn Garden City in the next round after a replay. The club also equalled their best run in the F.A.Vase when they reached the second round, as they had previously in 1991-2. After two years at the higher level, the club finished the 2009-10 one place off the bottom of the table and were again relegated, but as recently as last season, promotion was achieved when Cockfosters finished as runners-up to London Lions and 2013-14 starts with the club back in the Premier Division.